As you may have guessed by the title, tonight at Michigan Tech we had a fantastic comedy show brought to us by none other than Eric O'Shea!
He did a fantastic job in my opinion. He went right up to the line, but did not cross it!
Eric O'Shea, as you may know, is a world-famous comedian. For those who don't know him, he looks like Kramer from Seinfeld in my opinion! He's participated in many, many famous events, and even performed with Betty White and Carol Burnett at the Emmys!
I also noticed some comedian "strategies" he used to up his game. The first one was referencing previous skits and sketches. For example, one of his openers mocked how little kids act so dramatic when they are getting yelled or are in trouble! So true! Regardless, he would pull this same move out during a later skit.
This throwback to the prior skit I think just helps amp up the comedy. I hope that made sense!
He was also really, really good at mocking people and making voices. For example, he does a great Elmo impression. He has some videos of these impressions on his website!
During the show, the crowd, which was rather energetic and excited, clapped at some weird and funny times. It seems like he could not keep us quiet. I remember clapping right after he mentioned the fact that drivers will turn to look at slow drivers when going down the highway. These sort of moments frequented the whole show. He also asked how good the sporting teams were. That ended in a bit of an argument. Some kid in the middle of the crowd shouted, "D1 hockey (which is true) and D3 everything else!". Now, this isn't true. It's actually D2 everything else. Nevertheless, the kid insisted and so did a small other group. I was quick to back up the D2 people of course. Anyway, after we all quieted down, he cracked a few jokes about the argument, which sort of re-lightened the mood.
There was also this one kid named Erik who really seemed to be a star of the show. Eric pointed out his laugh several times, and really liked him when he realized how similar their names are. Which reminds me; Eric O'Shea does not like modern child naming. I remember him making light of the name Ruth in 2021: "My name isn't Ruth, it's Ruth (pronounced Ruthhhhhhh; emphasize the 'h')!". He said there was also a seven in there somewhere!
He also mentioned Finlandia University, which I think he recently performed at. Now he forgot the name of the school. Go back and look at what the initials of the school. Yeah. So he asked, and a large portion of the student crowd shouted the initials at him, and at first he got really confused. But he got it within like three seconds. Thankfully. Just some harmless fun after all!
Towards the end of the show, he sat us down and offered some heart to heart advice to us as freshmen. He told us how little ole nerdy him really struggled the first two nights, practically crying himself to sleep the first two nights.
The third night got even worse; he learned that his parents were getting a divorce. At this point, some smart-ass decided to try and be funny and make a joke out of the situation. To my delight, he was the only one, and many other people stood up and said that he took it way too far. Eric O'Shea also called him out, telling him to stop. Not long after, the kid sunk down into his seat in embarrassment.
Anyway, he gave us these three tips.
- Trust your instincts
- Happiness doesn't exist
- Help others who can't help themselves
So the two are pretty obvious, focused mostly on self-confidence and altruism, but the 2nd one is a little more interesting. He claims that happiness is result-oriented, and that's bad. Instead, we should get up in the morning, count our blessings, and be joyful because it's that easy. We can choose to be joyful.
At the end of the show many people ran to go grab a photo with him. I did not, but I did capture this:
If you're looking for any highlights from his comedy, I do believe this, or something similar is it! He performed one of these at our show, and it was hilarious! I'm not sure if the songs are the same, because I didn't watch the one I shared!
Anyway, I really liked this show, and I highly recommend seeing him if you get a chance!
As always, thanks for reading,
The Questionable Programmer
No comments:
Post a Comment